Oct 11: Surgeon General Releases New Mental Health Strategy for Canadian Armed Forces News Release
Aug 1: CAMIMH Announces the Faces of Mental Illness for 2013 campaign. News Release
July 30: The Canadian Medical Association released their What Makes us Sick Report today. News Release | Report
May 6: Champions Dinner and Awards Gala, Chateau Laurier, Ottawa. More details. | Photos of Event
Apr 25: Bell announces Clara’s Big Ride for Bell Let’s Talk, a national bicycle tour by Clara Hughes in support of mental health that begins in March 2014. The ride culminates on Canada Day, July 1 2014, in Ottawa. Website | News Release (EN) (FR)
Oct 10: Calling all Canadians: Clara’s Big Ride for Bell Let’s Talk gets ready to roll (PDF)
Oct 3: MDSC announces partnership with innoviCares for Patient Benefit Card (PDF)
Sept 18: New Mental Health Survey shows 17% of Canadians over 15 years of age perceived they required mental health care in the previous 12 months (PDF)
July 29: MDSC is proud to acknowledge COPE of McMaster University and Mariette Lee as the inaugural award recipients as part of MDSC's new Mental Health Awards Program (link)
Bio: Dave Gallson
Dave Gallson is the Associate National Executive Director of Mood Disorders Society of Canada. He also:
- Is Co-Chair of the Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health,
- Is a Certified Association Executive,
- In 2002 founded a highly successful seven week skills development program for persons with mental health issues/ disabilities. This initiative, originally started with dedicated participant volunteers who worked tirelessly to raise funds for the project, resulted in significant achievements for the persons enrolled in the program. The program was guided by and responsible to the participants.
- In 2003 moved the program, now highly successful, to a national mental health organization. The program was then renamed BUILT Network and Dave continued his leadership of it leading to significant project expansion for the next seven years. By that time, the BUILT Network assisted over 1,000 Canadians dealing with mental illnesses to return to work or school after successfully completing the program.
- Has a strong interest and knowledge base in consumer/patient advocacy and has close working relationships at the Federal level with Health Canada, HRSDC, Office for Disabilities Issues, CSC, Public Safety and other Federal departments,
- Has led the development of the Mental Health Commission of Canada website, where his design consultation and leadership of the initial programming team assured the success of the project.
- Dave is well known in the mental health community, having developed a wide government and stakeholder network through his reputation of leadership through caring. Dave is engaged nationally on many committees and panels where he speaks from both a professional and personal experience. Some of his involvement includes:
- Steering Committee Member, Canadian Working Group on HIV and Rehabilitation
- Past Committee Member, Episodic Disabilities Network
- Past EDN Policy Working Group Member
- Past Chair, Canadian Coalition of Alternative Mental Health Resources
- Past Director, Communications Committee, CCAMHR
- Past Member, Knowledge Exchange Initial Steering Committee; Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Past Member, Canadian Psychological Association Task Force on Evidence-Based Psychological Treatments
- Past Member, Consumer Peer Research Network Project Committee, Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Past Director, Local Training and Adjustment Board, Nipissing, Muskoka and Parry Sound
- Past Ex-Officio, BUILT Network, Provincial Board of Directors
Dave is married to his wife Lucy and they enjoy their children and grandchildren.
Read October 2013 E-News