May 10: Nominations are now open for the Faces of Mental Ilness Campaign. more details... (PDF)
Apr 25: Bell announces Clara’s Big Ride for Bell Let’s Talk, a national bicycle tour by Clara Hughes in support of mental health that begins in March 2014 and spans more than 100 days, 12,000 kilometres and every province and territory of Canada. The ride culminates on Canada Day, July 1 2014, in Ottawa. Website | News Release (EN) (FR)
Apr 8: CAMIMH announces the winners of the Champions of Mental Health Award.s for 2013 Join the celebrations at the 2013 Champion's Gala on May 6. Tickets from CAMIMH. Newsrelease. Email. Gala Details: May 6, 2013 Chateau Laurier, Ottawa. Reception: 5:30pm; Dinner & Awards 7pm More details. | Photos of Event
Mar 15: Emily Maguire seeking sponsorships to help her release her new album "Bird in a Cage". Emily provided the antham song for the Defeat Depression Campaign. More details about her new album
Feb 15: The first edition of CSA Z1003/BNQ 9700-803, Psychological health and safety in the workplace - Prevention, promotion, and guidance to staged implementation is now available. More details.
Jan 21: "52 Ways to Beat Depression Naturally" was released on "Blue Monday". Written by Toronto Psychotherapist Nicole McCance. Link to publisher | Link to Nicole's site
Jan 8: Mark your calendar for the Canadian Collaborative Mental Health Care Conference to be held in Montreal on June 27 and 28, 2013. More details at shared-care.ca
May 24: MDSC E-News now available!
May 7: “Not Criminally Responsible Reform Act” Will Set Back Mental Health without Increasing Public Safety more
May 6: 2013 Champion's Gala more
Apr 26: The Countdown is On! Just 1 month until Defeat Depression Weekend in Canada. Register for an event in your community | Plan your own activitiy wherever you are!
Apr 22: MDSC had an interview on the "Family Caregivers Unite" show with Dr. Gordon Atherley. The topic was "Family Caregivers Help us Defeat Depression". Listen now! Also December episode called "Mood Disorders, Stigmatization and Family Caregiving"
Mar 22. MDSC is partnering with Conference Board of Canada on the upcoming Workplace Wellness and Mental Health 2013 Conference. Tues Jn 18 - Wed Jn 19 2013. The Old Mill Inn, Toronto, ON. Conference Website
Bio: Dave Gallson
Dave Gallson is the Associate National Executive Director of Mood Disorders Society of Canada. He also:
- Is Co-Chair of the Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health,
- Is a Certified Association Executive,
- In 2002 founded a highly successful seven week skills development program for persons with mental health issues/ disabilities. This initiative, originally started with dedicated participant volunteers who worked tirelessly to raise funds for the project, resulted in significant achievements for the persons enrolled in the program. The program was guided by and responsible to the participants.
- In 2003 moved the program, now highly successful, to a national mental health organization. The program was then renamed BUILT Network and Dave continued his leadership of it leading to significant project expansion for the next seven years. By that time, the BUILT Network assisted over 1,000 Canadians dealing with mental illnesses to return to work or school after successfully completing the program.
- Has a strong interest and knowledge base in consumer/patient advocacy and has close working relationships at the Federal level with Health Canada, HRSDC, Office for Disabilities Issues, CSC, Public Safety and other Federal departments,
- Has led the development of the Mental Health Commission of Canada website, where his design consultation and leadership of the initial programming team assured the success of the project.
- Dave is well known in the mental health community, having developed a wide government and stakeholder network through his reputation of leadership through caring. Dave is engaged nationally on many committees and panels where he speaks from both a professional and personal experience. Some of his involvement includes:
- Steering Committee Member, Canadian Working Group on HIV and Rehabilitation
- Past Committee Member, Episodic Disabilities Network
- Past EDN Policy Working Group Member
- Past Chair, Canadian Coalition of Alternative Mental Health Resources
- Past Director, Communications Committee, CCAMHR
- Past Member, Knowledge Exchange Initial Steering Committee; Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Past Member, Canadian Psychological Association Task Force on Evidence-Based Psychological Treatments
- Past Member, Consumer Peer Research Network Project Committee, Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Past Director, Local Training and Adjustment Board, Nipissing, Muskoka and Parry Sound
- Past Ex-Officio, BUILT Network, Provincial Board of Directors
Dave is married to his wife Lucy and they enjoy their children and grandchildren.
Read May 2013 E-News