Jan 21: A former 911 operator diagnosed with PTSD aims to help prevent other operators in Canada from going through the same experience. (Link)
Jan 5: Bell Let’s Talk Day 2015 is January 28: Join the national conversation about mental health! (PDF)
Bio: Dave Gallson
Dave Gallson is the Associate National Executive Director of Mood Disorders Society of Canada. He also:
- Is Co-Chair of the Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health,
- Is a Certified Association Executive,
- In 2002 founded a highly successful seven week skills development program for persons with mental health issues/ disabilities. This initiative, originally started with dedicated participant volunteers who worked tirelessly to raise funds for the project, resulted in significant achievements for the persons enrolled in the program. The program was guided by and responsible to the participants.
- In 2003 moved the program, now highly successful, to a national mental health organization. The program was then renamed BUILT Network and Dave continued his leadership of it leading to significant project expansion for the next seven years. By that time, the BUILT Network assisted over 1,000 Canadians dealing with mental illnesses to return to work or school after successfully completing the program.
- Has a strong interest and knowledge base in consumer/patient advocacy and has close working relationships at the Federal level with Health Canada, HRSDC, Office for Disabilities Issues, CSC, Public Safety and other Federal departments,
- Has led the development of the Mental Health Commission of Canada website, where his design consultation and leadership of the initial programming team assured the success of the project.
- Dave is well known in the mental health community, having developed a wide government and stakeholder network through his reputation of leadership through caring. Dave is engaged nationally on many committees and panels where he speaks from both a professional and personal experience. Some of his involvement includes:
- Steering Committee Member, Canadian Working Group on HIV and Rehabilitation
- Past Committee Member, Episodic Disabilities Network
- Past EDN Policy Working Group Member
- Past Chair, Canadian Coalition of Alternative Mental Health Resources
- Past Director, Communications Committee, CCAMHR
- Past Member, Knowledge Exchange Initial Steering Committee; Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Past Member, Canadian Psychological Association Task Force on Evidence-Based Psychological Treatments
- Past Member, Consumer Peer Research Network Project Committee, Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Past Director, Local Training and Adjustment Board, Nipissing, Muskoka and Parry Sound
- Past Ex-Officio, BUILT Network, Provincial Board of Directors
Dave is married to his wife Lucy and they enjoy their children and grandchildren.
Read November 2014 E-News